Middlesex County is committed to supporting environmentally sound practices both amongst its business community and its residents. This page offers you access to environmental links, as well as details on household special waste disposal requirements.

Household Special Waste Disposal

Household special waste (HSW) are corrosive, flammable, ignitable, or reactive materials such as paint, batteries and compact fluorescent bulbs. These items should not be disposed of with your regular garbage due to the negative impact to the environment if placed directly into a landfill.

HSW in the Home

  • Batteries
  • Bleach and other houshold cleaning products (drain and oven cleansers)
  • Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs)
  • Flea Powder
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Nail polish and remover
  • Photographic chemicals
  • Thermometers/Thermostats
  • Waste vegetable oil

HSW in the Garage

  • Automotive fluids like antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline, motor oil
  • Car batteries
  • Glues
  • Car care products
  • Paint, paint thinners, solvents, and turpentine

HSW in the Yard

  • Fertilizers
  • Herbicides
  • Insecticides
  • Pesticides
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Propane tanks and cylinders

Middlesex County residents can dispose of special waste at the City of London Household Waste Drop-off Depot located at 3502 Manning Drive, London.

The depot accepts: paints and thinners, oils, pesticides, drain cleaners, small batteries, thermometers, cleaning fluid, poisons, and medications

Your local electronic stores will accept used electronic devices for proper disposal.

Conservation Authorities

Conservation authorities are local watershed management agencies that deliver services and programs that protect and manage natural resources.

Other Environment Links