Thank you for your interest in giving junk food the boot and choosing to boost veggies & fruit and promoting the wonders of water!
NEW! An opportunity for Hockey Teams! To pledge to suppprt Healthy Snacks, click on the TEAM PLEDGE. To be eligible, the challenge is simple!
1. If your team has a snack schedule or if as a coach you bring in snacks for after games or practices, choose veggies & fruit!
2. Encourage your players to GO for water. Let them know that sports drinks are generally not necessary for young athletes.
Dowload our coaches & parents letter!
What is the Healthy Snack Challenge?
The Challenge is an initiative of the County of Middlesex Healthy Kids Community Challenge. The goal is to work with local youth sports teams in promoting healthy eating by supporting healthy snacks and beverages.
Check out this video featuring a soccer team who embraced the challenge to Bring Back Healthy Sideline Snacks in 2016!
Why the Challenge?
Children who play sports are more likely to eat sugary foods and drinks then children who do not play sports.
One of the factors is that team snacks have become overrun with sugary and salty treats like cookies, granola bars, chips, cupcakes, donuts, Freezies, juice boxes and other sugary drinks. Gone are the days of providing orange and watermelon slices!
As well, many children in minor sports choose to drink sports drinks despite rarely this being necessary. In fact, the Canadian Pediatric Society just released a position paper that sports drinks are generally unnecessary for children and youth and can pose potential health risks. Water generally is the way to GO!
What is the benefit of the Challenge?
By giving junk food the boot and choosing veggies & fruit, coaches, parents and guardians are being positive role models for players. Vegetables, fruit and water give our kids the strength they need to run, jump and play. Well-nourished kids play better and longer, stay more alert and recover more quickly.
County of Middlesex sports teams can take the pledge to support healthy snacks and lead the change in supporting healthy environments for players!
Click here for more information on the benefits of the Challenge.
Are their incentives for participation?
All teams who pledge will be automatically entered to win one of three $200 prizes, funding that can be used to support team equipment!
Will my team support the change?
Feedback from the 2016 Challenge showed that children, parents, and guardians embraced the change!
- “I wasn't sure the parents or the kids would go for it, but I thought it was a good idea to try. They ALL went for it though!” – Coach
- “We had a very supportive team and everyone followed through with the healthy snacks...it actually was easier because in the past I found snack was becoming a competition with "who would bring the best snack" and the snack became bigger and less nutritious.” - Parent
- “It was a great program and I already know I will be contacting our soccer association and encouraging them to enforce a healthy snack for every team!” - Parent
Click here for the summary infographic from the 2016 Challenge.
Helpful Links & Resources
Thank you for leading the change in support of Healthy Kids Middlesex!